Home Page

Severn Bridges Multi - Academy Trust

Holidays in Term Time

Holidays in Term Time


A parent has to ask for permission from the headteacher of the school to take a child out of school during term time. This request is made by completing a ‘Request for Leave of Absence in Term Time in Exceptional Circumstances’ form, which is available from the school offices.


The headteacher can only authorise any absence if an application has been made in advance by the parent/carer with whom the child is normally resident and if it is felt to be for an exceptional circumstance. An annual family holiday would not be deemed to be an exceptional circumstance.


If this request has not been authorised, details will be passed to Shropshire Council’s Education Access Service. The Council may, in the following circumstances, issue a Formal Warning, serve a Fixed Penalty Notice or take court action in respect of non-school attendance for this and any future absence


  • Parents have not sought permission from the head teacher before taking their child out of school for a holiday in term time.
  • The head teacher has refused the request but the absence occurs anyway; or
  • A child has not returned by the agreed date with no satisfactory explanation.